Sunday, December 22, 2013

Chapter Eleven: Statesboro: 1952‑1958 (Part One)


I returned to Salt Lake City with mixed feelings.  Because of our abrupt and unexpected departure from Washington, D.C., I had to cancel a series of appointments with agency heads in diverse government departments.  If Ruth and I had remained several weeks more, I suspect that I would have spent my life as a government bureaucrat in Washington.  I also regretted my leaving before I had an opportunity to explore the holdings of the Library of Congress on Syrians and Lebanese.  I worried over whether or not I had obtained enough material on them for a good dissertation.
Upon arrival in Salt Lake City, Ruth and I lived with my folks for a few days.  Relationships between my parents had improved.  My father, besides working as executive director of the Utah Sand and Gravel Company, was very active in Rotary and served on the Stake High Council. He also taught a very popular gospel doctrine Sunday school class in the 27th Ward.  A very fine teacher, he worked hard to prepare his lessons.  I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity of discussing various aspects of family, church, Utah and national history with him.  A wise, magnanimous, humble, quiet and very private man, he taught me much.  I found out that he was a national authority on highway construction, maintenance and safety.  He read a number of papers at various national meetings as a representative of the National Sand and Gravel Association, of which he was a member.  During our stay in Salt Lake City I came to know and to respect my parents more than I had ever before.
My mother had become a rather decent artist.  She painted in water colors and oils and took many classes in art.  She worked very hard at her genealogy and quickly co‑opted Ruth, who became an active researcher.  Jayne, Paul and Virginia were still at home.  Jayne was engaged to Kelvin Brewer, who was serving a mission in the Eastern States Mission.  Paul worked for the church as an accountant, kept books for several small companies on the side, and dated a young German immigrant girl.  Jerry had married a Swiss immigrant who, with financial help from my father, was struggling to establish a business manufacturing structural and decorative iron products.
Virginia had become a family problem.  Mercurial in behavior and shrewish of tongue, she disturbed the family harmony with chronic temper tantrums and caustic comments about family members.  A very intelligent girl, she was enrolled at the University of Utah and finishing up her third college degree.  She had first secured a degree in education at Brigham Young University during World War II.  Teaching in Grantsville, she was forced to leave because of her comments about the school administration and failure to adjust to the local social environment.  Leaving Grantsville, she obtained a first year certificate in social work at the University of Utah.  After a year of successful employment as a social worker in St. Paul, she was given a year's leave of absence to work toward a second year certificate in social work at the University of Pennsylvania School of Social Work.  The school, highly Freudian in ideology, required that its students undergo psychoanalysis.  Virginia rebelled and was forced to leave the school. 
My other sister, Sarah, and her family lived close to my parents in a small home on Sixth Avenue, near the Salt Lake City cemetery.  In spite of high blood pressure and kidney ailments, Sarah had become active holding various positions in the P.T.A., the Relief Society and the local Republican party.  Her husband, Thomas B. McKay, struggling against near blindness, traveled constantly over the West selling insurance.  Their two very intelligent children, Marilyn and Tommy, had become pets of the entire family.
Upon arriving in Salt Lake City I began the long, arduous task of securing a footing in academia.  I wrote to my professors at Brigham Young University and Vanderbilt, and to T. Lynn Smith requesting assistance in securing employment.  I filled out numerous applications, sent off many references, and desperately hoped that some of the offers that I received would materialize, but nothing happened.  I am now convinced that I was sabotaged by one of my references from Brigham Young University.  My hopes were raised high when Dr. Carlson wrote me from Vanderbilt to let me know that the school was about to offer me the position of instructor in sociology.  But he later wrote to tell me that Dr. Weyland Hayes had blocked my appointment.
Depressed and uncertain, I took a state civil service examination for social worker and related areas and was offered jobs in several state agencies.  But the salary offered was so low that I turned them all down.  To escape my depression I began to read systematically through Spanish, French and English literature and the writings of the early Christian fathers.  Ruth and I traveled frequently to Provo to visit faculty friends and old friends such as Roland Thunnel, Ross Christensen and Bruce Clark.  I was tempted to apply for a position at Brigham Young University, but Dr. P.A. Christensen strongly advised me against it.  He did not believe that I could survive under the harsh, repressive administration of President Wilkinson.  Finally, on October 16, 1951, my father put me to work as a manual laborer at a Utah Sand and Gravel plant under construction in Garfield, Utah.
For several weeks I tied steel and, through pick and shovel labor, helped to level the construction site of a plant being erected to process slag in Magna for highway construction and railroad ballast.  When the foundations were poured, I was transferred to the North Salt Lake plant to load trucks with sand and gravel from enormous bins.  For the first few days I suffered from unhappy truck drivers complaining about my inability to load their trucks properly, but soon caught on.  The work was dull and boring, but at least it provided us with an income.
The weather turned bitterly cold as winter came on.  From December to late March one blizzard after another piled up unprecedented amounts of snow in the valley and on the mountains.  Deer came down in large numbers into the streets of the town, followed by mountain lions.  At times I counted over 60 deer in and around our sand and gravel plant.  Dressed in old army clothing, I worked outside enduring the bitter cold.  Interestingly, I did not come down with any colds, flu or infections.  Ruth suffered all through the winter from appendicitis attacks, but refused to go to the doctor or to the dentist because of the low state of our pocketbook.
Ruth's parents put pressure upon Ruth and me to live with them.  Feeling very insecure and unwanted in their family circle, I resisted but finally gave in.  I fully realized that her mother resented Ruth's marriage.  Ruth's father, a builder, was unemployed during the winter, and the family was in a precarious financial position.  The rent that we paid helped them.  I found it difficult, however, to adjust to the chronic family arguments, tensions, and anxieties.  Caught up in my own problems, I made little effort to fit into their family existence and retreated into my books, which antagonized Ruth's parents.
Our relationships reached a very low point on February 21, 1952.  Trapped at home because of a blizzard, I noticed that Ruth was suffering from a toothache.  I urged her to go to a dentist.  I believed that when in such conditions one always went to a dentist.  This, as I learned, was not true among those without money.  Her father, irritated at our conversation, demanded that I leave his daughter alone.  I replied, unfortunately, that the matter concerned my wife.  His wife entered the argument, accusing me of being a failure and having dragged off her daughter to Tennessee and to Brazil.  Hurt, indignant, and unable to defend myself verbally, I called my father.  At that moment Ruth's mother attacked me physically.  The rather undignified scene ended with the appearance of my father and brother‑in‑law, Thomas B. McKay.  That night the DeYoungs apologized, but my relationship with my in‑laws went into a deep freeze that lasted for many years.  I have always regretted that Ruth and I did not rent a cheap apartment upon my securing employment with the Utah Sand and Gravel Company. 
The winter ended suddenly with the coming of warm weather.  Salt Lake City was flooded by melt water pouring down the canyons and benches.  Much of the west side and the central city were flooded.  My father was called to direct a county‑wide flood control committee and performed magnificently.  A major east‑west street was banked and turned into a spillway running from the benches and canyons to the Jordan River.  I worked incredibly long hours loading trucks.  I admired my father for remaining in the background and permitting pompous local politicians to take the credit for the successful flood control strategy.
Shortly after the end of the flood, I received an unexpected letter from a Dr. Thomas B. Alexander, Chairman, Division of Social Sciences, Georgia Teachers College, Statesboro, Georgia, offering me a position of assistant instructor.  He mentioned that he had secured his own Ph.D. in history from Vanderbilt University.  On a recent trip to the school, he sought out Dr. Emilio Willems to ascertain if there were any recent graduate students available to teach sociology.  Dr. Willems recommended me.  Alexander mentioned a salary of $4,000 and asked if I would come to Georgia for an interview, expenses paid.  Would I?  It is doubtful that he would ever know how delighted I was to come.
I left Salt Lake City early the next morning on a Union Pacific train bound for Kansas City via Denver.  I sat in the observation car with a book on my lap virtually all the way.  I was especially interested in changes in terrain, in settlement patterns, in human types, and in wildlife.  Traveling across the Great Plains I thought, as I always do when on the plains, of my ancestors plodding along in covered wagons week after week.  Arriving in Kansas City I changed to a dirty, dilapidated Frisco train. Coming into Macon, Georgia at midnight, I boarded a train running from Atlanta to Savannah, getting off at a siding by the name of Dover early in the morning.  Dr. Alexander and his wife, Elise, were there to greet me.  They mentioned that the train did not go through Statesboro because the local farmers did not want their livestock frightened or endangered by trains.
On the way into town he told me that Georgia Teachers College was evolving from a teachers college into a four‑year liberal arts college.  He asked if I could teach psychology and economics as well as sociology.  Rather shocked I replied that, of course I could, not feeling as competent as I sounded.  I would have replied that I could teach anything he wanted taught.  I was driven around the pleasant, sprawling south Georgia community before I was taken to the president's office.  They asked me many penetrating questions about my background, my character, and my experiences in life.  Among them was a question about my religious affiliation.  The interview lasted over an hour.  Then Tom was asked to show me around the campus.  I admired the Georgian red brick architecture, the lavish grounds, and liked the looks of the students.  When one hour was up I was brought back to the President's office.  The president asked me to sign a contract for a year, which I did with tremendous inner happiness.  I immediately called Ruth to notify her that I had a job.  I was then put on the night train from Savannah and, changing trains in Macon, arrived in Kansas City early the next morning.
Learning that the Union Pacific train would not leave until evening, I bought a guidebook and went on a walking tour through the city of Pendergast and Truman.  Finishing my tour I caught a bus to visit a museum and spent hours going through one of the finest collections of oriental art that I had ever seen.  I was so entranced that I revisited the galleries time after time, spending most of the afternoon there.  Finally I tore myself away to catch my train.  Ruth and her parents met me at the station on May 23.  I noted an immediate change in the attitude of my in‑laws towards me.  They may have decided that I might amount to something after all.
Ruth and I went with her family to Yellowstone Park to visit her sister, Ann, and her husband, Everett Call, there on vacation.  We had a quiet trip to Yellowstone Lake where the Calls had parked their trailer.  I quite enjoyed traveling through the park, observing  the abundant wildlife.  Ruth was as interested as I was in approaching moose and other animals rather closely to photograph them.  But she was not well during the trip.
Upon our return to Salt Lake City I managed to persuade Ruth to visit a doctor who ordered her to enter the L.D.S. Hospital for an immediate operation for removal of her perforated appendix.  When the doctor came out of the operating room he told me that her appendix had ruptured.  Ruth was in the hospital for over two weeks.  When I went to arrange to pay for the operation I found that my father had quietly paid all the expenses.
The weeks before we left Salt Lake City were quite busy ones.  I was asked to teach priesthood lessons in the Seventies' Quorum in Capital Hill Ward.  On July 13 the Knowlton family traveled down to American Fork to attend the homecoming of Jayne's fiancé, Kelvin Brewer.  Shortly thereafter Elsa Vogler, a lovely Argentine girl from Rio Cuarto, Argentina, whom I had helped to convert, arrived in Salt Lake City.  A very ambitious girl, she found employment in a laundry, saved every penny, and helped other members of her family to come to Utah.
About the same time we were contacted by two friends from Brazil, Jose Camargo and Clio Jordan from Sao Paulo, who were attending Brigham Young University.  Our friends Freitas Marcondes and his family, also from Sao Paulo, visited us.  He had received a scholarship from T. Lynn Smith to study at the University of Florida.  Finally, on August 13, Ruth and I purchased a used 1950 Chrysler from Caldwell Motors in Murray, packed it with our belongings, witnessed the marriage of my sister, Jayne, to Kelvin Brewer on August 27, and finally on September 9, 1952, departed Salt Lake City.  One of the hardest, most discouraging years of my life had finally come to an end.
Leaving Salt Lake City in the early morning, we drove happily down the highway.  For us the trip was a second honeymoon.  We had left behind the tensions and frustrations that had so harassed us.  We stopped briefly in Provo to visit Jayne and her husband, now enrolled at Brigham Young University, and my friend, Ross T. Christensen, now an assistant professor in the Department of Archaeology.  From Provo we drove up the long, dangerous, narrow, winding two‑lane highway to Price and then through the arid plateau country to Crescent Junction through Moab and Monticello to Cortez, Colorado, where we stopped for the night at the Navajo Lodge for $4.
Early the next morning we left our motel to spend most of the day at the Mesa Verde National Park.  It was a memorable experience for me.  I meditated on the many generations of Indians that had inhabited the fascinating pueblo ruins, the coming of hostile tribes that drove them into the canyon caves, and finally their enforced retreat from the region when driven out by drought.  The beauty of their architecture and their skill as craftsmen impressed me deeply.  Ruth was as deeply interested as I was.  She purchased several prints of Navajo paintings.
Leaving the park in the afternoon we drove slowly through the lovely mountain country to Durango, stopping to photograph scenic vistas.  Entering the town about dusk we suffered a flat tire upon crossing a railroad track.  Unable to find a vacant room or an open service station, we drove through the night to Chama, New Mexico.  The next morning the service station attendant showed us a small, sharpened peg that had penetrated our tire.  Almost every time we passed through Durango during the next few years we had car trouble.
Ruth and I enjoyed the drive from Chama to Espanola.  We visited every Spanish‑American village and Indian pueblo, impressed by the people and the architecture.  We felt exalted by the impressive, luminous blue sky, the piñon and cedar forests, the clean, pure air, the smell of sage, and by the green‑covered mountains that rose on every hand.  In contrast to the aloof mountains of the Wasatch Front, the northern New Mexico mountains breathed an air of friendliness.  At Espanola we turned towards Taos stopping at Chimayo to admire the architecture and the churches and to purchase several blankets at the Ortega weaving establishment.  We next stopped at Ranchos de Taos, enthralled by the magnificent church with its heavy mass and clean, simple outlines.  Going into Taos, we drove to the Indian pueblo, paid our fee, and wandered around the permissible area taking many photographs.  Then we returned to the plaza, walked around the central part of the community visiting art galleries.  We also visited the home of Kit Carson, whom I dislike for his treatment of the Indians and the Spanish‑speaking people.  Then we drove down to Santa Fe, arriving early in the evening, finding a motel close to the historic church of Guadalupe.
Ruth and I simply fell in love with Santa Fe.  We walked through every street of the plaza region, visiting the cathedral, the Church of Guadalupe, the art gallery, the museum in the Governor's Palace, the La Fonda Hotel, the archaeological and anthropological museums, and the Cristo Rey Church.  We also spent time in book stores and spent far more money that we should have.  Both of us were reluctant to leave northern New Mexico and its friendly Spanish‑speaking people.  We left Santa Fe late on a Friday afternoon and drove steadily through eastern New Mexico and the Texas Panhandle, reaching Amarillo, Texas, late at night.  From Amarillo we drove the speed limit through an enormous extension of dull country.  East of Dallas the landscape changed into a more interesting forested region marked by ugly, rundown, unpainted shacks.
Crossing the Mississippi River in the late evening was a special treat.  I slowed down on the bridge to admire the majestic river.  Spending the night at Shrevesport, we pushed on early the next day, crossing Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama before night caught us in Columbus, Georgia.  I was shocked at the poverty, the terribly bad housing, and the abundant signs of land erosion.  At the same time I liked the woods, the many streams, and signs of varied animal and bird life.  We drove to Macon, Georgia, the next morning through the peach orchards and stopped to tour the Indian mounds and museum at the Ocmulgee National Monument.  Finally reaching Statesboro around 1 p.m. we drove around the square and finally found the Alexander home.  The Alexanders were not in, but Tom's mother‑in‑law directed us to the house that he had rented for us.
The house was an unpretentious brick house.  As we began to unload, George Rogers, a member of our social science division, came by and helped us clean the house, put our few belongings away, and take care of the utilities, and call the repairmen to fix bathroom facilities and kitchen appliances.  We liked George instantly.  Once our house was in order George drove us over to his home to meet his wife, Betty, and two small children.  We remained there for supper and talked long into the night.
Ruth and I awakened to the hot and muggy weather so characteristic of southern Georgia.  The weather came as a shock.  I concluded that the climate was not conducive to long walks, but I did enjoy the contrast between the vivid coloring of the blue sky, the white clouds, and the abundant green vegetation.  I started out for a walk but changed my mind and listened with pleasure to the cardinals, brown thrashers, blue jays, bobwhites, and many other birds.  Just outside my window a squirrel ran up a tree.  I decided that in spite of the hot, muggy weather I would like Georgia.
After breakfast Ruth and I drove around the college.  We quite liked the large, oval expanse of lawn bordered by trees and the collection of red brick Georgian three‑story buildings clustered at the top of the oval.  She dropped me off and returned home to bring order out of disorder while I walked up to the tiny, windowless office on the second story of the administration building that I would share with George A. Rogers.  There was scarcely room for two small desks, two small bookcases, and two large file cabinets.  Tom Alexander told me that I would be responsible for courses in psychology, economics and sociology.  All faculty members taught fifteen hours a quarter, three classes of five credit hours taught every day of the week.  Normal class enrollment would run from 15 to 60 students. With a minimum of student assistance, the burdens of teaching, grading papers and handling class assignments were heavy.
The division of social science in the college was staffed by five faculty members‑‑Tom Alexander, the chairman, who taught history and political science; George Rogers, responsible for history and geography; Jack Averett, on leave in England; and Ms. Hestor Newton, one of the many unmarried women that staffed the college in those days.  Tom made it very plain to me that my continuance at the college would depend on how well I taught "Introductory Psychology," a required course that students had come to dislike.  I firmly resolved that they would like my course and they did.
The next morning, Saturday morning, I attended my first faculty meeting.  The president of the college, Zach S. Henderson, had the meeting opened with prayer, introduced the new faculty (including myself), and mentioned that the fall quarter would open with 600 students and 70 faculty.  In the evening Ruth and I attended a college banquet for faculty and staff with the Alexanders and the Rogers.  I was impressed by the friendliness of the faculty.
As I have mentioned before, Georgia Teachers College at the time of my arrival, was in the process of shifting from a teacher training institution to a four‑year liberal arts college, reborn as Georgia Southern College.  As a result, the faculty was an interesting mixture of an older faculty predominantly single, mature women without advanced degrees, who filled the divisions of Education, Domestic Science, Physical Education, and the Fine Arts; and a younger, better paid male faculty with advanced degrees, entrenched in the divisions of Music and the Physical and Social Sciences.  Although little overt friction existed, a fine line of snobbery separated the two faculties.
Fortunately, Ruth and I were able to bridge the line.  She enrolled as a student majoring in musical education and minoring in art.  She had to take required courses in English, education, music and other divisions.  We thus made friends on both sides of the line.  Among them were Ela Johnson, a member of the English Department approaching retirement age, whose fiancé had been killed in World War I.  She told us that she had sworn eternal fidelity on his grave and never married.  The chairman of the English Department, Dr. Fielding D. Russell, the only man in the department, brother of Georgia Senator Russell, was an intellectual leader on campus, with both the virtues and vices of the educated Georgians of the time.  Ida Long Rogers, who came at the same time we did, occupied the position of Dean of Women and taught psychology, became a very special friend.  Hassie McElveen (the librarian), Fay Edwards (English), Frieda Guernant, and Roxie Remley of the Fine Arts Division, and Georgia Watson (student counselor and alumni director) all became good friends.  As Ruth majored in music and her talents were speedily recognized, we virtually became members of the music Division and enjoyed the company of its talented members, Ronald J. Neil, Jack W. Brouchek, and Daniel Hooley.  Dr. Farkas, a Hungarian refugee who taught German and French, was numbered among our special friends.  Of course, the Social Science Division became not only a fine academic division with high standards, but also a close group in which the bonds of friendship reinforced those of collegiality.
I gradually came to respect President Henderson.  A deeply religious, compassionate, thoughtful and courteous person, his office was always open to faculty and to students alike.  I never saw him raise his voice in anger.  He was respected and liked by students and townspeople.  Opinions varied among the faculty.  Many degreed faculty looked down their noses at him as his degree was complimentary rather than earned.  But other faculty, such as myself, recognized his administrative competence, his love for the college, and his desire to serve faculty, staff and students.  His only weakness was a tendency to take the social pretensions of Statesboro elite families too seriously.  Even though he was not well‑read or an intellectual, he was one of the finest college or university presidents that I have known.
His warm, relaxed spirit marked the college administration.  The one college dean, Paul F. Carroll; the comptroller, Donald McDougal; the registrar, Viola Perry; the Director of Guidance and Counseling, Georgia B. Watson; Roy F. Powell, Director of Public Relations; and Hassie M. McElveen, the librarian, were relaxed, friendly, and eager to be of assistance.  I have never taught at a school where faculty morale was higher, where so little factionalism existed, and where the bonds between faculty, students, and towns-people were stronger.  Before my first quarter had ended, I had come to respect the administration, to like my fellow faculty members and students, and to enjoy the community in which I was living.
The student body was composed of the sons and daughters of nearby farmers, merchants, teachers, and professionals with few foreign or out‑of‑state students.  The majority came to college with limited resources and their stay depended upon a good harvest or mercantile season.  The students tended to be well‑mannered, quiet, low‑voiced, respectful and intellectually and socially insecure.  They were eager to please and bloomed under praise and kindness.  As students do, they knew which faculty members liked and respected them and which did not.  There were many faculty, primarily from northern schools, who looked down upon their limited cultural and intellectual exposure, their classroom insecurities, and their lack of sophistication.  Those, like myself, who liked them became substitute parents to whom students came for friendship, intellectual stimulation, and counsel on the most varied personal, intellectual and social problems.
I liked them immensely.  As a result, the students filled my office, invited me over to the student union for long, intimate talk sessions, and introduced me to their parents, who promptly invited me to visit them in their homes.  Many parents who were farmers kept our refrigerator filled with produce in season.  From the time I came to the time I left I was constantly interceding for students with the administration, other faculty, law enforcement officers, ministers, and even parents.  The students tried to develop family‑like ties with faculty and where they succeeded as they did with Ruth and me, behaved like family members.  It was as though they subconsciously desired to recreate on the campus the large extended families from whence they came.
Through them I came to know the Georgian people and to love them.  They shared many characteristics such as love of family, love of the land, love of nature, and the desire for informal primarily relationships with people I had grown up with in Holliday.  Because of these shared values, Ruth and I felt at home in Statesboro and soon were better integrated in the community then were many faculty members who had been there far longer than we had.
Statesboro was a thriving modern Georgia county seat, located at the intersection of two heavily‑traveled national highways.  Although tourism was important, the local economy depended more on the college and on agriculture.  A network of interconnected civic and social clubs, garden clubs, card clubs, bowling leagues, and other voluntary organizations integrated community life.  Community mores rested on Protestant values and Protestant churches and their ministers were very influential.  A very large proportion of the inhabitants attended church on Sunday.  The Presbyterian church was the church of the elite.
Within a few months Ruth and I joined the community intellectual circle composed of retired and active high school and college teachers, librarians, social workers, and many well‑traveled, highly‑educated businessmen and professional men and women.  The group met at least once a month to listen to classical records, discuss books, argue international, national and local politics, and support the visiting lecture and musical series.  One of the leaders was Leodel Coleman, editor of the local newspaper, the Bulloch County Herald, an excellent local newspaper.  Leodel taught me much about Bulloch County and Georgia.
Perhaps the most influential clique in Statesboro was a small group of political leaders, lawyers, and businessmen who met each morning for coffee at a local cafe to discuss politics and community affairs.  A cog in the Talmadge political machine, the group ran the political and much of the business life of the region.  One could not get very far in politics or perhaps even in business without their cooperation.  I learned the reason why supplies at the college cost more than similar supplies downtown.  Every contractor doing business with any branch of government was expected to kick back to state and county party leaders.
Statesboro was a surprisingly tolerant town.  As long as public mores were respected, people could behave much as they pleased.  Bootlegging was common and bootleg whiskey sold throughout the community.  Groups of men came together in private businesses and clubs to drink and to gamble. Several homosexual circles, including both college faculty and townspeople, existed.  As long as the homosexuals did not engage in cruising, molesting children, or picking up young people, they were left alone.  Very little crime or delinquency existed in Statesboro.  Cars and homes were never locked.  What little crime existed came from drinking or from periodic visitations from traveling groups pausing briefly in Statesboro.  It was known that certain local women and girls were available for private entertainment.  Although one's reputation in Statesboro depended upon abiding by local moral codes, little was ever done to violators as long as public attention was not drawn to their existence.
Numbering from 30 to 40 percent of the population, blacks were (of course) an important part of the community.  Living in numerous small clusters of incredibly bad housing, they performed most of the unskilled, poorly paid labor, including domestic service in Statesboro.  A small Negro middle and upper class made up of school teachers and principals, morticians, several small businessmen, lodge leaders, ministers and a few government employees existed.  Blacks were rigidly segregated.  A double legal standard existed and blacks were arrested more often and were treated more harshly than whites by law enforcement officers.  Little apparent racial tension existed on the surface, but my own quiet research revealed the existence of a deep, repressed hostility among the Blacks towards the existing social system.  I was amazed that so few whites seemed to have any knowledge about Black attitudes and feelings.  Ruth and I hired black maids several times but, unaccustomed to servants, abandoned the practice and did our own housework.
Bulloch County, of which Statesboro is the county seat, was never part of the traditional South. The majority of the rural population are independent and fiercely proud, small, semi‑subsistence farmers who produce most of their own food and grow a few acres of tobacco, cotton, peanuts, corn, watermelons, and vegetables as cash crops.  Every farmer kept hogs and cattle that roamed freely, as the county is an open range county.  Wild hogs and cattle existed in the swampy, forested segments of the county.  Paying little attention to state and federal laws, the rural population hunted, fished, and made whisky as they pleased.  As they wanted nothing more than to be left alone by the outside world, law enforcement officials treated them very delicately.  The rural population was heavily armed, and most of the men and boys were excellent shots.  Deeply equalitarian, the farm population never accepted social class pretensions.  Politicians, businessmen, and professionals had to treat them as social equals.
It was here that I learned to understand the function of Southern courtesy and politeness.  It assumes equality and reduces the possibility of friction and conflict.  Deeply religious, most of the local people were Baptists of diverse persuasions and their ministers were local leaders.  In spite of their suspiciousness of outsiders (especially Northerners), their racial prejudices and their mistrust of the outside world, I found them to be an intensely humane people, deeply concerned about each other, ever ready to assist the unfortunate and open to friendship.  They have maintained a sturdy independence, a self‑reliance, a willingness to work hard and to go without, an ability to enjoy life, and a capacity to endure deprivation that I admired.
Ruth and I developed many friendships with the rural people through our work with their young people at the university.  I liked them very much, even though I could never accept their propensity to shoot at any animal or bird in the county.  It should be mentioned that they were coming to believe in education for their children, and to adopt new agricultural methods.  I noticed that much of the county was returning to forest. Pines that could yield turpentine as well as lumber over a ten‑year period paid more than most crops.  Also, pecan groves were being planted.
Ruth and I discovered that we were the only Mormon family in Statesboro.  A bit disoriented, we began to attend the Presbyterian church, the upper class church in Statesboro, with Tom and Elise Alexander.  Ruth, upon invitation, joined the Presbyterian Professional Women's Club.  The ladies met once a month in each other's homes.  Coffee and elaborate cakes were served, each woman trying to outdo the others.  When it became Ruth's turn to entertain, she served one of her exotic, tasty punches.  By the time we left, most of the members were serving punch rather than coffee.  Ruth served as president for one year.
Ruth was active in many organizations during our life in Statesboro.  Among them were the Faculty Wives, of which she was president for one year, League of Women Voters, the Statesboro Music Association, over which she also presided as president, and the Women's Club of America.  Very few faculty wives belonged to as many civic clubs or were as integrated into community organizations as was Ruth.  She was sought out for her musical talents, her speaking ability, and her happy personality.
We made it a habit to visit each of the Protestant congregations in turn.  Ruth and I were often called upon to explain Mormonism, becoming, in fact, token Mormons in the community.  We formed friendships with many ministers and their wives.  We thoroughly enjoyed the many church dinners and learned to like Southern cooking.  This was our first major exposure to Protestantism.  From it we developed an appreciation for the work of the ministry.  We met men and women who were dedicated to serving their congregations and the larger community.  We became more tolerant, more sympathetic, and more knowledgeable about the diverse Protestant denominations. Theology was taken very seriously by both ministers and members in Statesboro, and I was fascinated by their theological hairsplitting and their willingness to erect elaborate theological structures upon interpretation of certain Biblical proof texts.
Our only contact with our own church during our first two years in Statesboro was through the missionaries.  We ran a free hotel and restaurant for all elders traveling through.  From them we learned of the existence of two Mormon farm families living in the county, Hyrum and Dowdie Schuman, brothers.  We sought them out and organized a home Sunday school in Brother Dowdie Schuman's home.  They both had fairly large families and we had many fine meetings with them.  Gradually more Mormons moved into the county, and we finally secured permission from the college to hold meetings in the music hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment