Monday, December 30, 2013

Chapter Five, The University Of Utah and Yellowstone Park: 1938-1939


In the fall of 1938, I enrolled as a freshman at the University of Utah, my father's school.  There was never a question of my attending another university.  Since my childhood, my father had talked about the university and had sung its song, "A Utah Man Am I" until all of his children had memorized it.  The university had considerable impact upon me, although I had almost mo impact upon the university.  I had to arise early in the morning, do my chores, and to ride the bus and trolley to the university.  Upon completion of my coursework, I hurried home to do my homework,  socialize with my Holladay friends, few of whom attended the University, and to again to do chores.  I made new friends through my classes, but these friendships did not survive the war.

My most enjoyable classes were in zoology and ornithology.  By the end of my high school, I had decided to become a naturalist.  I enjoyed my class and laboratory work, but I remember the field trips the most.  The class visited local canyons, mountains, lakes, deserts, and bird refugees.  I can still remember my excitement at seeing alive in the field, the birds we studied in the classroom and laboratory.  I also learned much about the diverse natural environments and habitats in Northern Utah.  Although I was not at the university long enough to learn much German, I was influenced by the dignified scholarly German teacher, Dr. James Barker.  An old fashioned academician who demanded and gave respect, he insisted upon high intellectual standards in his classes.  He won my respect and affection.  Dr. Leland Creer taught me much in his class in Utah history about my own social and cultural origins.  I also took a class in state and local government from Dr. Herbert Maw, the future governor of Utah.  He strengthened my cynicism about the honesty and integrity of state and local politicians.

The teacher who had the greatest influence on me during my freshman year was an anthropologist, Dr. Elmer Smith.  From the first day of class in general anthropology to the last, he carried out a systematic attack on the doctrines, origin and history of Mormonism.  Under his barrage, my faith in the Church began to weaken.  I discussed my newly acquired doubts with my father who suggested that I follow the example of Joseph Smith.  I prayed long and earnestly for many nights.  I wanted to know whether the Church was true or not.  I received an affirmative answer that burned deep into my soul.  My doubts vanished.  I received a personal testimony about the Church that has remained with me through many difficult experiences.

My most vivid memories of my freshman year come from my ROTC experiences.  Believing that I should prepare myself for the war that I knew was coming, I decided to join the ROTC, then a field artillery unit armed with old French World War I 75's.  I spent hours dissembling, assembling, cleaning, and polishing those old guns.  It was a lot of fun to hitch half  wild polo-ponies to the guns and caissons, ride furiously through the brush at Fort Douglas, halt suddenly, unhitch the horses, take them to the rear of the guns, seize ammunition from the caissons, cut the range in the range-cutter, throw the shell into the breach, cover our ears, and fire the gun.  The gun crews constantly timed themselves trying to diminish the time required to bring their guns into action.  I might not have been so enthusiastic about the field gun, if I had known about the agonizing hours I would later spend under shell fire.

My freshman year at the university came to a quick end on May 27, 1939.  My father notified me without prior notice that I would have to drop out of school just before the finals.  We were to leave immediately for Yellowstone Park.  He had got me a job again on a Bureau of Public Roads survey crew.  My father, brother Paul, Uncle Horace and his three boys, and myself left Salt Lake City for the Park.  WE spent the night with my Aunt Hazel Ball at Mendon, Idaho in the Snake River Valley, my first view of the Snake River.  The next day we traveled through the park.  I was enthralled by the beauty of the park and its abundant wildlife.

I enjoyed a wonderful summer at the park.  I repeatedly visited all the natural wonders, such as the geysers and the hot pots, fished in the lakes, and hiked for many miles into the interior of the Park alone, armed only with a compass, hatchet, knife, bedroll, and fishing gear, spending the night where darkness overtook me.  I learned to watch quietly for many hours, to walk silently, and to blend into the vegetation.  I took incredibly stupid risks with grizzly and black bears, buffalo, elk, and moose.  I came up within inches of coyotes and a wide variety of small animal life.  I also saw the magnificent swans on Lake Yellowstone.  I came to feel a oneness with nature and with all animal life that has never left me. 

Living in a survey tent camp at West Thumb, our crew surveyed the roads through a good part of the park.  Next to our camp was an even larger camp of a CCC unit composed of boys from the farms and cities of Pennsylvania.  For the first time in my life, I was living among non-Mormons.  I soon became part of a group of young men from the CCC and Bureau of Public Road camps that attended all the dances in the park, fished, hiked, and played poker.  Exposed to many temptations, I managed to resist all except poker.  I soon became a member of a nightly poker game.  Fortunately a cowboy on the survey crew gave me very valuable advise, "always play on  other people's money. If you have to play on your own, it is time to quit."  I followed his advice and got through the summer with little loss of income.

Part of our duty was to keep bears out of the tourist campgrounds at West Thumb.  One night as we sat down to play poker, the sounds of a women's screams reached us from the tourist area.  Grabbing our long spiked poles and flashlights, we ran for the campground.  Breaking through a circle of tourists, we found a large tent whose sides bulged here and then there.  Fearing the worst, we threw open the tent flaps and flashed our lights inside.  The lights revealed a petrified family and a large black bear sniffing among the residues of a picnic basket.  We booted the bear in the rear with a spiked pole.  Out came the very irritated bear growling as he came.  We shooed away the tourists and prepared to haze the bear out of the area, when a running ranger caught the attention of the bear.  The bear chased the ranger round and round the car and tent.  We managed to divert the bear as the ranger ran into the restroom and slammed the door.  Unfortunately, he went into the woman's side.  Suddenly feminine shrieks began to emanate from the restroom.  Fearing a bear inside, we ran toward the building with our poles ready as the ranger hastily emerged with a shrieking woman close behind hitting him on the back with a night case.  As we approached, weak from laughter, the woman ran off leaving behind an indignant flustered ranger.

The weather turned cold toward the end of August.  Surveying was suspended for the season on August 25th.  I picked up my paycheck, bid farewell to my friends, caught the bus in West Yellowstone and returned home to Salt Lake City to get ready for my mission to Argentina.  Just before leaving for Yellowstone Park, I was touched by a talk in ward sacrament meeting by an Elder Pierce from the Argentine mission and asked to be sent on a mission.  Much to my surprise, I was called to the same mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment